Monday, May 16, 2016

Day 16- Stack Wanderer. This entry dedicated to Megan Burlington.

Image result for library of books



How does this photo make you feel?  Relaxed?  Sleepy?  Excited?  Bored?  How do books make you feel?  Nostalgic?  Peaceful?  Anxious?  
Many people have a visceral reaction to books and libraries.  The thought of a large repository of knowledge and imagination all housed in one central accessible location makes me smile.  My favorite room at the Biltmore?  You guessed it:  the library.  
As a 16-year-old with a fresh driver's license, I couldn't wait to drive to the, wait for it-

Millard Branch
Millard Public Library circa 1971

Millard Public Library, a branch of the Omaha Public Library system.
Pretty thrilling right?  I could do research, study with friends, or do homework on my own there.  I could discover new music (cds!) for free there.  And I could follow my nose through the stacks.  I could wander.  While wandering (almost hidden from view) I would stumble on an intriguing spine, a familiar title or a favorite author.  I could check out as many titles as I wanted and read them, or not! There was no risk of waste at the library.  Money had little value there.  


Just last week I seized the chance to do some stack wandering.  I was alone.  I had time.  A library was nearby.  So I wandered through Adult Fiction.  I was not looking for a particular book.  I had no agenda.  I just wandered in silence.


The books didn't fly off the shelves at me, but these three made their way home to my bedside table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think. Leave a comment!