Friday, May 6, 2016

Day 10- Concord, NC with Sandra and Larry

My beautiful mama had a birthday yesterday.  In order to celebrate she asked to explore downtown Concord, NC with dad and me.  So off we went.


First stop:  Baucom Shoe Store.  Wanna relive 1981 y'all?  You can.  Because time stopped at Baucom Shoe Store.  My mom spotted the Florsheim logo inside and we were drawn back in time. You see, my mom used to work at Spence's Shoes in Knoxville, TN.  They were also fine purveyors of Florsheim.  I am now the proud owner of a pair of alligator shoes from Spence's.   I should pull those out. . .


 Rattan wall decor.

I love everything about this photo.  


How many boys, girls, men and women tried on their Easter shoes in these chairs?


Don't get me wrong:  Baucom is selling shoes from the present day.  It's just the store that hasn't changed.  Remember these salesperson seats?  Mom tells me that when she was a girl there was an x-ray machine at the shoe store where you could see your foot, inside a shoe. WHAT ??????


If one meanders leisurely through downtown Concord, one will likely stumble onto the Union-Market passageway.  There one will find the tidiest alley in the history of all alleys complete with highlights from Concord's history.


What I learned- Barber Scotia college was built as a seminary for African American women in the 1800s.  And George Washington was buddies with a tavern owner from Concord.


Next up- Trashed Studio.  Why didn't I get any photos!?!  This boutique has morphed into a small town version of The Beehive in Atlanta, one of my favorite ATL gift spots.  If you don't know Trashed or The Beehive, they are both boutiques that feature local, unique gifts that you can't get anywhere else.  No Vera Bradley.  No Crabtree and Evelyn.  Just local and original.  Mama like.
The owner at Trashed sent us to our highly satisfying lunch at Two Gals Kitchen.


Oh mama.  Lunch was delish.  Can you say Cheddar Corn Chowder?  If you can say it, get it there ASAP.  I might have licked the bowl.  Dad seemed to love his Monkey's Uncle cupcake (above).  And my chicken salad smacked of tarragon, which makes me happy.




Does anyone know how old this oak in front of the old courthouse is?  These roots have seen some years.


The distinctive Arts Building, which used to be the courthouse, I think.
Final stop:  the perfect conclusion to mom's b-day, a few morsels from Chocolatier Barrancund.  Just go there.  And sit there.  And sip wine and taste some chocolate.  We let the mouse live.  This time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think. Leave a comment!