Monday, April 25, 2016

Day 4- a map store, a friend, fresh produce and a dream.

About a month ago I had a deep and enthralling dream.  In the moments when I rose back up to the surface of consciousness I found myself repeating a word.  Ennis.  Ennis.  Ennis.  Remember Ennis. Ennis.  Ennis?  I had no point of recognition.  Was it an anagram?  Was it an homophone?  A name?
I was baffled.  I even mentioned it to Rob.  Nothing.  In the following weeks a fact came to me. Ennis is a town in Ireland.  I had never heard of it.  I have never been to Ireland.  I desperately want to go there.  But Ennis?


By 4:30pm yesterday I was at a loss.  My nose had led me nowhere.  So I did what any blogging women of 2016 might do.  I reached out on Facebook.  Help!!  Where should I go?  I had exactly      1 1/2 hours to do some nose following in the Uptown vicinity while my kids rehearsed.  Enter Mia Brasco Miller, one of my oldest and most creative friends from college.  She now (happily) lives in the CLT metro area.  Score.  Her suggestion resonated.  I have driven by 1,000,000 times.  I have always longed to go in.  It was time to finally visit The Map Shop. 

mapshopstorefront.jpg

How many map shops have I been to in my life?  0.  I don't know of any other map shops.  What a great way to spend an hour or 2.  They have an extensive map collection (duh) and a nice variety of flags and some pretty cool decorative North Carolina graphics.  See Charlotte below:)


As I wandered through the shop following my nose, I spotted someone I knew- Ann Miano, a friend from St. Peter's.  Her family is considering a trip to Italy, specifically to Sicily.  Huh? Sicily was our honeymoon destination!  We chatted about travel, families, our parish and the like.  But as we spoke, something caught my eye.


That's right, out of the corner of my eye I saw a map of ENNIS.  After revealing my dream to Ann, she enthusiastically persuaded me to buy the map.  I still don't understand it, but following one's nose isn't always logical.  


Around the corner from the Map Shop there happens to be a farmer's market.  I had just enough time to check out the produce and plants before rehearsal ended.




Back at home, a golden tomato made a beautiful addition to the night's sausage risotto. Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think. Leave a comment!